List:       kde
Subject:    Powering down computer while KDE is running
From:       "David Grant" <davidgrant79 () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2001-07-05 22:58:53

All,

I looked on the KDE documentation and FAQs for answers to my problem, but I
can't seem to find an answer to my problem.  It could be because my problem
is too simple maybe?  My problem is as follows:

I had to shutdown my computer one day with KDE running and while logged in
as root (problem with my IDE controller which caused the kernel to lock).
After I turned my computer back on and ran KDE, it wouldn't log in as root
properly.  It stopped just has it was trying to load the panel, and wouldn't
go any further.  Logging in as a regular user, however worked fine.  So I
deleted all sorts of .kde stuff in the /root directory.  This enabled me to
get into KDE now, but the panel was not working properly.  Every time I
tried to open a group, like "games" or "applications" the panel would close
down and disappear.  It would reappear after clicking around on the desktop
a few times, but the menu problem was still there.  I shutdown my computer
another time while KDE was running, and it wouldn't load at all.  It tried,
I think X started, but KDE didn't want to.

So in my case, it seems that KDE itself was fine (because I could log in as
a regular user no problem) but something specific to root's kde setup was
corrupted.  What can I do to get root's KDE setup back to the point that it
was right after I installed KDE?  What are all the different directories and
areas that I have to look at?  I would like to know where to look, so I can
clean things up.  Are there any KDE log files, with messages?  What are the
/tmp/*kde* files all about?  Also, if there is any documentation written on
this matter, please point me in that direction.

Thanks,
David Grant

p.s. I have the version of KDE that came with RedHat 7.1