List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Problems with KDE and Qt: desktop frozen
From:       Nils Holland <nils () nightcastleproductions ! org>
Date:       2001-06-20 15:34:36

On Wednesday 20 June 2001 15:03, Antonio Pagliaro wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> I am running Red Hat 7.1 with KDE 2.1.1 and Qt 2.3.0.
> I am experiencing some problems.
> Every now and again my desktop freezes and there's no
> choice but reset the system.
> Last time it happened I was ripping audio from a CD
> with cdrtoaster, frontend to cdparanoia. When this happens,
> the icons on the desktop (floppy, cdrom, etc) disappear
> and nothing moves (not even the poiinter).
> So far, this happened ripping an audio CD and while using
> Netscape 6.

I can only comment on that thing: I have noticed something similar here. When
I rip a CD with cdparanoia by hand on a "real" virtual terminal (not in the
KDE konsole), and I then start X, everything seems to work fine first, but
then the whole system crashes and cannot be used again before I reset it. I
always thought this was totally unrelated to KDE and instead a problem with
cdparanoia. However, I didn't investigate it any further - I simply made sure
that no X was running while I'm ripping CDs.

If anybody has any more information on this, I guess we'D be glad to hear it.
However, I think that this crash is *not* a KDE or X problem, but a
cdparanoia problem, just as the fact that cdparanoia always makes my system
clock slip behind is also a cdparanoia problem (but that's an entirely
different topic...)

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland - nils@nightcastleproductions.org
NightCastle Productions - Linux in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.nightcastleproductions.org
"They asked me where this earthquake would begin,
 I offered to let them feel my pulse."