List:       kde
Subject:    Re: RPM 3-4 / someone knows the truth behind the rumours ???
From:       "akar 'th 'orrible" <trader2001 () bigpond ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-05-02 0:35:05

On Monday 30 April 2001 01:41, wolfi wrote:
> akar 'th 'orrible wrote:
> MB, but together they only work as 256 MB if put in a specific order,
> i.e. original module in 2nd slot and aftermarket module in 1st one).

Wolfi,
I would consider that a point of worry, At best it means that the second
module is under spec, at worst a faulty module that may not show in tests.
The motherboard sets the memory timing from the chip in slot 0. If the new
chip doesnt work in slot1 then it cant handle the timings that are set by the
slot0 chip. By putting the new chip in slot zero you are setting slower
memory timings.
A quick test that may help you. Some bioses allow you to set memory speed as
well as processor and FSB. Drop them all back and see if things are OK.

--
Regards,

Andrew