List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Transparent Windows
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2001-02-24 1:51:55

On Friday 23 February 2001 02:17, David Heremans wrote:
> On Thursday 22 February 2001 19:03, Praedor Tempus wrote:
> > If you do have it working in transparent mode, how did you do it?
>
> It is the same reason why stuuf like xearth,sfishtank etc do notr work.
> KDE's background is in effect a giant borderless window behind all the
> other windows. The real X-rootwindow/background is behind this
> KDE-window-background.
> aterm tries to read the real X window which is probably blank since if you
> use KDE you will never see it. (because covered by the giant borderless KDE
> window used as background)

BTW, as inconvenient as it is on the local console, I like this new desktop.
It means that when I run KDE remotely from a Windows box I get the whole
desktop in a window instead of having bits scattered around among the Windows
stuff.  You could probably do this another way, but I was having problems
prior to 2.0.

> But Konsole has a transparent option. (options->schema->transparent
> konsole)

To answer Paedor's question about how it's done, am I correct in thinking
that Konsole's transparent scheme is not /actually/ transparent, but that it
takes a snapshot of the desktop under the window and displays it as a
background image in the term window.  That's why the windows under the
konsole aren't shown, but the desktop under /them/ is.

--
We give advice, but we cannot give the wisdom to profit by it.
		-- La Rochefoucauld