List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Transparent Windows
From:       David Heremans <david.heremans () siemens ! atea ! be>
Date:       2001-02-23 7:17:08

On Thursday 22 February 2001 19:03, Praedor Tempus wrote:
> Do you actually have aterm looking transparent with KDE?
> I just downloaded the source to aterm-0.4, built and installed it.  I
> cannot get it to go transparent regardless of what switch I use (I read the
> manpage and did "aterm --help").
>
> If you do have it working in transparent mode, how did you do it?

It is the same reason why stuuf like xearth,sfishtank etc do notr work.
KDE's background is in effect a giant borderless window behind all the other
windows. The real X-rootwindow/background is behind this
KDE-window-background.
aterm tries to read the real X window which is probably blank since if you
use KDE you will never see it. (because covered by the giant borderless KDE
window used as background)

But Konsole has a transparent option. (options->schema->transparent konsole)

David