List:       kde
Subject:    Re: KDE konsole TERM setting where?
From:       Pavel Troller <patrol () sinus ! cz>
Date:       2001-02-01 11:16:35

> However, on my linux desktop itself, when I open a new konsole window,
> which I do a lot, it does not seem to source any of the typical .*rc or
> /etc/*rc files so I have no chance to set the TERM there.
Which shell are You using ? In bash, I hope that ~/.bashrc is sourced for
every interactive shell and /etc/profile and similar only for login shells.
See man bash for details. In that, at least for my version of bash, they write
that to prevent ~/.bashrc from being sourced You must either use the --norc
option or invoke bash as "sh". May be Your distro (/etc/passwd shell entry &
a symlink /bin/sh -> /bin/bash) is doing this ?

> This was my question: how can I influence the TERM setting I see when I
> open another konsole window on the kde desktop.

The above worked for me before I patched the source.

> what <name> to use, I have linux.keytab, vt100.keytab, vt420pc.keytab
These names correspond to the ones You see as the possibilities for "keyboard"
setting from the konsole popup menus. More precisely, in these files there is
a name which is then presented in the menu. Select one and then hack it.

> I wonder what the relationship between X keyboard mapping via xmodmap
> and these kde settings is. I would have expected to find keysym
> names from X here, instead of names like Tab+Shift.
>
> This seems very strange, after all KDE sits on top of X and should receive
> keySym values as defined in the X keyboard translation level.
I don't know why KDE developer decided to include this "High-level" mapping
but he did. For me, it has another drawback: konsole can't handle dead keys,
which are necessary for my national alphabet (czech).

> What a mess this all is, and how many months of my life I have spent
> with keyboard translation problems between all kinds of terminal
> and all kinds of emulators over the 17 years I spend with Unix....
Sure. Fiddling with terminals is one of the biggest pains... Not only Unices
suffer from this...

> Thnks for your help!
>
> || Alois Treindl,  Astrodienst AG,  mailto:alois@astro.com
> || Zollikon/Zurich, Switzerland