List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Startkde
From:       christopher j bottaro <cjb () cs ! utexas ! edu>
Date:       2000-12-15 2:19:30

you need to start your x server first.  you do that by typing "startx".
startx reads a file called xinitrc, or xsession, or xclients (refer to the
man pages for startx to see which file it reads on your system, i use
redhat6.1 and my xstart reads /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, yours prolly reads
something different).  once you find the file that xstart reads, scroll to
bottom where it invokes some kind of window manager (look for a line that has
exec twm, exec fwvm, or exec gnome-session), and replace that line with exec
startkde.  once you do all that, just type startx at the console...=)

hope that helps, i'm really new to linux also, just installed it 3 weeks ago,
took a week to learn basic commands, basic shell commands, and vim.  keep on
the mailing list and hopefully we can learn some stuff together...

christopher