List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Improving sound through aRTs
From:       Tom Brinkman <tbrinkm523 () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2000-12-02 15:24:41

On Saturday 02 December 2000 08:55 am, Jason Ahrens wrote:
> I have just done some testing to verify this, and it seems to be
> happening.
>
> Artsd is causes analog hiss on the output it renders. I have tested
> this through various program that play sounds with it, then some
> playing sounds using artsdsp, and then playing sounds without artsd
> loaded. Any time a sound (MP3/etc...) plays through artsd there is a
> hiss that is audible underlying it all that is not there when playing
> directly to /dev/dsp.

    I started KDE2 with 1.94, then 1.99, 2.0 and now 2.01 very close to
2.1.  Thru all these upgrades mp3/Xmms sound quality got progressively
worse. Finally I set (Contol Center | Sound | Sound Server) to "run
sound server with real time priority" and UNchecked "Start aRts
soundserver on KDE startup"  I did this both in root and my user
desktops.  Sound quality is now back to what it was before KDE2/aRts
--
Tom Brinkman       tbrinkm523@earthlink.net     Galveston Bay