List:       kde
Subject:    Re: I'm outta here...
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2000-11-28 16:13:50

Jason M Jarvis wrote:

> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> >
> > "David C. Churchill" wrote:
> > >
> > > I've had KDE2 installed for the last couple of weeks now.  To be honest I
> > > didn't see any compelling reason to keep it over 1.1.2.  So many
> > > bugs/missing features, some of the worst for me:
> >

> At least you GOT it installed, OK I admit the first few tries were my
> fault, I had the "beta" running and missed the part about having to
> remove it instead of "upgrading" I tried to -U RedHat packages, forced
> over dependencies and broke all kinds of stuff.
>
> After manually (well manually via RPM) removing every KDE package I had
> installed, I installed all the required RPM's. This got me the new login
> and desktop, but the "kicker" died immediately after startup every
> time,  Netscape ran via the run command, but pretty much everything else
> puked, anybody have any ideas ?  This is an AMD K63-450 running RedHat
> 7.0, using the KDE2 RedHat 7 RPM's current as of last week, around the
> 22nd.
>
> Yes it did generate an error trace, but I can't seem to find it now.....
> Sorry.
>
> I reinstalled My older version no problem, but in my urge to try
> something new I installed Helix-Gnome.  That install is PAINLESS,
> unfortunately I'm not a huge fan of the close to stock Gnome look.
>
> Thanks for any help,

I really don't know.  I simply removed the base, libs, and support
package and installed the new ones.  Then upgraded the applications.  I
had a few problems configuring kdm, but I had previously changed this
from the standard RH configuration.  But, I understand that you have (or
had) kdm working OK.

You should have the "qt1x-1.45" package installed and RH had an upgrade
(2.1.94-3) for "glibc" to cure bugs in the original release.  You didn't
say if you used qt-2.2.2 or not but you need to since without it, things
will crash when it tries to use a "*.png" file.

I have no other ideas except that it sounds like a missing or corrupted
library problem.

JRT
["tyrerj.vcf" (text/x-vcard)]