List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Missing pixmaps: VERY WEIRD 2.1.problems, etc.
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2000-11-22 22:12:06

I upgraded to KDE2 on my (more or less) Red Hat 7 system.  The toolbar
icons in Kpackage and Killustrator became small square abstract (color)
designs!?

However, this only happened when I started from the desktop icon or the
menu.

If I start from a Konsole they are fine!!

I changed the icon to start in terminal and get the error message:

	"KToolBarButton: pixmap is empty, perhaps some missing file".

Any theories??

A little more detail:

I am using the RPM's that I down loaded from KDE's FTP site.

I think that this worked OK when I first installed KDE2.  However, I had
about 6 copies of various versions of the Qt libraries.  These were not
in the proper order in "ld.so.conf, so it appeared that I was not using
the newest version of Qt 2.  When I cleaned this up, QCAD stopped
working.  I found that it wants an older version and I have it set up to
use qt-2.1.0 and it works fine.

I have a path problem.  My path (for User: JRT) is:

Console:

/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/jrt/bin

X KDE:

/usr/lib/kde2/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/jrt/bin

I have no directory: "/usr/lib/kde2/bin"!!  And, I have been unable to
track down the source of this change to the path.  Does anyone know?
For Info, the second "/usr/X11R6/bin" in the X KDE path is the one from
my "/etc/profile" file.  I need this to start X from the console.

Then there are the environment variables: QTDIR and KDEDIR.  I presume
that since Qt and KDE are in the normal locations: "/usr/lib" and
"/usr/bin" that these are not necessary.  I found that I did have KDEDIR
set to "/usr/lib" and that this was the cause of the problems with the
toolbar icons.  I am currently running without either of them.  Is this
OK.

JRT