List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Menue system KDE2; Was:[KDE, KDE2 and Kdevelop...]
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2000-11-20 6:15:26

Tom Brinkman wrote:

> > Exactly how do you "update-menues".
>
>   the command is 'update-menus',   BUT....
> "DESCRIPTION
>        Before  the advent of update-menus, when the system admin=AD
>        istrator installed a package onto a  Debian  system,  they
>        would  need  to  edit various window manager configuration
>        files to make the new program show  up  on,  for  example,
>        fvwm's  menus.  The  menus could easily become out of sync
>        with what programs were actually available, with some menu
>        items  that  didn't work, and other programs that lacked a
>        menu entry.  update-menus and Debian's menu package aim to
>        solve this problem."
>
> ..... Mea culpa, mine is a Mandrake 7.2 system which uses Debian menu
> system and utils. YMMV
>

> > That is, the menu that is displayed does not exactly match the
> > contents of the directory tree rooted at:
> >
> > "/usr/share/applnk"
>
>     that's my plan b, I always save a copy of /<user>/..../applink/
> (and often need it)
>
> > Is there any documentation available to explain how the menu system
> > works on KDE 2?
> >
> > JRT
>
>    Evidently, and as I forgot, menus vary by distro.  BTW, Chris has
> updated his KDE2 upgrade (mdk)rpms twice now (last was 11/17), they no
>
> longer trash menus, KDE2 is slicker and quicker, but Kdevelop still
> crashes on start (sig 11).
> --
> Tom Brinkman       tbrinkm523@earthlink.net     Galveston Bay

I seem to be missing something here.

I have RH7 (more or less) and I cannot find "update-menus" on my disk.
Perhaps this is a Debian command.

In any case, I copied the contents of "/usr/share/applnk" to
$HOME/.kde/share/applnk" and now things seem to work.

Therefore, I presume that somehow the system was supposed to do this
automatically, and didn't.

Still don't know exactly how it works, but problem solved for now.

JRT