List:       kde
Subject:    RE: The Ultimate Installation/Unistallation Method
From:       Ross Levis <ral () baycom ! co ! nz>
Date:       2000-09-20 6:25:27

Klaus Wachtler wrote:
> That's right for some propgrams you want to install. There
> will be others
> (an update for rm/ls/cp, some device drivers) which will have
> no entry anywhere.
>
> So it is still the same story: The OS needs an ability to
> install/update/deinstall something, and if you want it
> K'lickable then you use a KDE-frontend for it. This front end
> should then make an entry in your menues.

I guess so.  After some consideration, maybe the new KDE install system
could just wrap up an existing RPM or DEB package file along with a
configuration file to specify what else is to be done, combined into a new
file with an extension of say KRPM.  The RPM manager could be called to do
most of the installation.  From what I understand, however, you cannot
redirect the files to a different directory using RPM so this goes against
one of the suggestions.  Is there anyway around it?

Then the pure operating system files that don't require a GUI could be
simple RPMs as they are now, and all GUI apps/frontends could be available
as KPRM.  All KRPM packages installed should be kept in a database or conf
file for easy uninstallation etc.

Ross.