List:       kde
Subject:    KDE 1.93 with XFree86 4.0.1 - anyone got it working?
From:       Rod Roark <rod () sunsetsystems ! com>
Date:       2000-08-30 18:19:04

Is anyone using these together?  I can't get it to work.

First I compiled Qt without session management (-no-sm) and KDE sort of
worked except the splash screen would not go away, and it would crash
on logout.

Then I figured out how to compile Qt with SM
(./configure -L/usr/X11R6/lib), and rebuilt all of KDE.  This time the
splash screen goes away but I can't launch any applications... for
example if I try to run a console window it just sits minimized on the
panel bar with a little spinning circle for a while and then goes away.

This is with a "Linux from scratch" system
(http://www.linuxfromscratch.org), kernel 2.2.16, and pretty much the
latest versions of all the basic tools.

I did try cleaning out /tmp and all the KDE-created stuff in my home
directory; no difference.  Is there a way to troubleshoot this?  I can't
find any messages that are enlightening.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/