List:       kde
Subject:    RE: DEP's unhelpful article?
From:       "Timothy R. Butler" <kde () uninetsolutions ! com>
Date:       2000-08-24 22:33:40

Hi Derek,
> "king of the Gnomes, Miguel de Icaza"
> "just can't seem to resist saying something gratuitously
> nasty about KDE"
> "he seems to be busy alienating opposing forces within the
> Gnome community"
> "Gnome's stated purpose, its whole reason for existence, is
> to kill KDE. Nice, huh?"
> "a project headed by a guy who's in it for the money"
>
> Some of the things said might be true; others are obviously
> false or blatently taken out of context. Regardless, this

  Which one was false? Miguel is the leader of the Gnome Project, he's been known
to say bad things about KDE, I can't say on the third one, the forth one at least
at one time was included in the FAQ (to provide a "free" replacement to KDE), and
Miguel is in it for, at least partly, the money.
  I though Dennis was, if nothing else, somewhat kind and accurate in his mud
slinging. Especially, I actually had been wondering about Miguel's dual role in
the project (as leader and Helix Code founder). What Miguel has done, is exactly
what Linus Torvalds has attempted to avoid for his own career - having $$$ capable
of influencing his project.
  Think about it. Say some new super-hacker comes along and creates the ultimate
GUI-based e-mail client, is Miguel going to really be okay with letting this
"competition" into the Gnome CVS to compete for the same space as Evolution?

  Perhaps non-Americans just can't understand the art of mudslinging. <g> We have
a lot of it around here. The idea is both parties sling mud at the other, digging
deeper and deeper for the worst mud they can find. Inevitably, one side finds more
mud than the other, and the other side is crushed under an avalanche of mud. The
public never likes it, but generally the act it self doesn't hurt either party,
since both are doing it. The key is to know you have the best mud. ;-)

  -Tim

Timothy R. Butler                              Universal Networks
Information Tech. Consultant    Christian Web Services Since 1996
ICQ #12495932 AIM: Uninettm       An Authorized IPSwitch Reseller
tbutler@uninetsolutions.com        http://www.uninetsolutions.com