List:       kde
Subject:    RE: KDE2 license policy
From:       Patrick O Neil <patrick.oneil () hci ! utah ! edu>
Date:       2000-08-04 16:39:03

No.  Unless you are constantly changing window managers and/or environments,
then
all you would do is download the version that integrates properly with your
selected environment.  If I went with GNOME, I would go with good ole
original
Gimp.  If I went with KDE, I would, instead, go with Kimp.  Same app, same
functionality, proper and total integration into my environment.

I have nmap.  There is a gtk-based graphical frontend for it and a new
kde/qt-based frontend.  Before there was the qt frontend, I would sometimes
use the gtk frontend.  Now, if I want to use the graphical frontend, I use
the qt-based version.  It works totally and fully with my environment and
theme, without any extra diddling on my part.

The graphical frontend to an app should be totally changeable.  There is
no reason that an app should REQUIRE a gtk-only graphical frontend...all
someone has to do is produce a qt-based frontend.  Then users can download
one or the other based on their environment.  What's wrong with that?  It
certainly doesn't require that you download two versions.  How many people
REALLY switch between Gnome and KDE often enough to "require" one to
download
two versions of the same software?

I occassionally start up Gnome and diddle with it to determine whether or
not I like it.  I am used to kde and I am comfortable with it.  Unless
something compelling comes from Gnome, my environment is KDE, due to
personal preference and inertia.  I want my graphical-based apps to work
with KDE whenever possible.  If I was a Gnome user, I would want them to
work with Gnome/gtk.