List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Anyone use Scroll Lock key?
From:       Kevin Forge <forge () myrealbox ! com>
Date:       2000-06-30 2:17:03

dep wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Kuba Soltysiak wrote:
>
> | | Does anyone ever use the scroll lock key on the keyboard?
> |
> | Is it just taking up space on our keyboards?
>
> well, it *does* have uses, though not as many as once it had -- it
> was important in lotus, for instance, in the early days, as a way of
> scrolling a document up and down without moving the cursor. it did
> what scroll bars do now in guis. it would be cool to, say, enable its
> use such that when on, the numpad arrow keys worked the scrollbars
> instead of the cursor. (then again, it would be cool to use it to
> assign those keys to mouse control or something, too, no?)

Using it to modify the function of arrow keys sounds like a good
idea.  It could possibly be done in libkde or QT.  Too late for
KDE2 now but maybe latter.  Even if it can be done without
disturbing existing code. too much.

> never have used sysrq, though, and never heard a cogent explanation
> of anything it's needed to do in the last 15 years.

That one caries 2 labels on most keyboards.  The other is
"Print Screen".  I would hook that up to snapshot.