List:       kde
Subject:    My experience with KDE 1.91 (2.0 Beta 2)
From:       Chris Colohan <colohan+ () cs ! cmu ! edu>
Date:       2000-06-28 15:06:09

Since I am a big fan of KDE, I decided to give the new KDE 1.91
(2.0beta2) distribution a whirl.  I started with a pretty stock RedHat
6.2 installation (I just got a new hard drive last week, and
reinstalled from scratch), and used the RedHat 6.2 RPMs that you are
supplying.

I am quite impressed!  But, since this is a beta, I figure you would
like to hear about the glitches that I encountered so that they can be
fixed before the final release.  So I apologise for the extreme detail
below, just skip it if you are not interested.  I don't read the
mailing list, so if you have any followup questions I won't see them
unless you cc me.

First, I discovered that KDE 1.91 can not coexist with the KDE 1.1.2
that comes with RedHat6.2, due to dependency conflicts (with qt?).  To
avoid these dependency errors, I first removed all traces of kde 1.1.2
from my system, erasing the following RPMs:

    kdegames autorun kdebase-lowcolor-icons kdpms kdebase
    kdemultimedia switchdesk-kde kdenetwork kdeutils korganizer
    kdeadmin kdegraphics kdetoys kpackage kpilot

I then intalled kdesupport-1.91-1.i386.rpm and
kdesupport-devel-1.91-1.i386.rpm (using rpm -Uvh), with the following
error:
    cannot remove /usr/include/mimelib - directory not empty

I then installed all qt-*-2.1.1-3.i386.rpm RPMs, with the following errors:
    cannot remove /usr/lib/qt-2.1.0/lib - directory not empty
    cannot remove /usr/lib/qt-2.1.0 - directory not empty

I then installed kdelib*-1.91-1.i386.rpm, with the following errors:
    cannot remove /usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES - directory not empty
    cannot remove /usr/share/locale/tr - directory not empty
    cannot remove /usr/share/locale/sl/LC_MESSAGES - directory not empty
    cannot remove /usr/share/locale/sl - directory not empty
    cannot remove /usr/share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES - directory not empty
    cannot remove /usr/share/locale/ro - directory not empty
    cannot remove /usr/share/locale/is/LC_MESSAGES - directory not empty
    cannot remove /usr/share/locale/is - directory not empty
    cannot remove /usr/share/locale/hr - directory not empty
    cannot remove /usr/share/locale/et - directory not empty
    cannot remove /usr/share/locale/eo/LC_MESSAGES - directory not empty
    cannot remove /usr/share/locale/eo - directory not empty
    cannot remove /usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES - directory not empty
    cannot remove /usr/share/locale/ca - directory not empty
    cannot remove /usr/share/locale/br/LC_MESSAGES - directory not empty
    cannot remove /usr/share/locale/br - directory not empty
    cannot remove /usr/share/apps - directory not empty

I then tried to install kdebase-1.91-1.i386.rpm, but could not, due to
the following error:
    error: failed dependencies:
    	    libkonsole.so.1 is needed by kdebase-1.91-1

It appears as though that file is not distributed with KDE.  So I
forced it, with "rpm -Uvh kdebase-* --nodeps".

I then tried to install the rest of the RPMs, but could not due to the
folowing errors:
    file /opt/kde2/share/icons/locolor/16x16/actions/bottom.png from install of \
koffice-1.91-1 conflicts with file from package kdelibs-1.91-1  file \
/opt/kde2/share/icons/locolor/16x16/actions/top.png from install of koffice-1.91-1 \
conflicts with file from package kdelibs-1.91-1

So once again, I forced it with "rpm -Uvh --nodeps --force".

Once it was installed, I found I had to erase the following in my home
directory so that the new KDE didn't get confused:
	  ~/.kderc
	  ~/Desktop
	  ~/.kde/

After this, things start up fine.  I encountered a few bugs during my
exploration of the beta:

-> The startup time for everything is way slower than KDE 1.1.2.  Is
this build a debug build or a full production build?  In particular,
the startup time for Konqueror is fairly painful (slightly longer than
Netscape...).  My test machine is a P100, 64MB RAM, 7200RPM 15GB
drive.

-> Kicker seems to crash with Sig11 quite frequently.  I was unable to
get an uptime of longer than 2 minutes for Kicker while I was using
it.  I submitted a bug report for this using the automated tool, but
it was unable to get a backtrace (why not?  The error message didn't
give me any clues as to how to fix this...).

-> My normal arrangement for Kicker is to have the toolbar on the
left, and the program bar (task bar?  the thing that lists the open
windows) across the bottom of the screen.  With this layout the two
bars overlap in the bottom left corner, which means I lose some
information depending on which one is on top.  KDE 1.1.2 did not have
this behaviour.  Also, the program bar seems to let a one pixel line
of background colour show through beneath it -- this looks kind of
funny.  In adition, the program bar seems to only display one window,
no matter how many windows (xterms, xemacs sessions, netscapes, etc.)
I have open.

-> My home page renders incorrectly.  :-)  If you open up
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~colohan in Konquerer, you will notice two
things:
	1.  The jpg file that contains the title is never rendered.  As
        a matter of fact, no jpg file seems to get renedered, ever.
	2.  The contact information down the left side is not wrapped
	and indented correctly.  It is quite possible that this is due
	to bad HTML on my part (since I just created this using
	Netscape composer), but Netscape, Mozilla, and IE under
	Windows and Linux all render this page in the same "correct"
	way...

-> Spelling correction in the KDE control center:
Index->Panel->Panel->Look&Feel->Miscellaneous->"Fade out applet
handels."  s/handels/handles/