List:       kde
Subject:    RE: my views
From:       "Sam BC" <sambc () nights ! force9 ! co ! uk>
Date:       2000-06-12 13:35:10

This is not a specific response to any message, just generally to this
thread...

For all the low amount of input I've had to this debate, it seems that
helped start this huge, rambling, fairly relevant but ultimately fruitless
discussion. So I am going to try and summarise fairly, without naming names,
and as long as no-one disagrees with what I say (that is, not disagreeing
with opinions as I will try and include both sides, but disagreeing with
factual statements and if I leave anything out) we can maybe leave it at
that, yes?

-	The discussion has been divided into two main camps:	systems (mainly
linux) should be as easy as possible while maintaining complexity for those
who want it
										systems are complex, and there should be little or no effort made
to make them easier. People shouldn't use them if they don't want to learn

-	The second camp is largely of the opinion that, as long as simplifications
are not forced on them, the first camp can go and make as many *optional*
simplifications as they want

-	There was a temporary interjection on politics which shortly petered out

-	The discussion was extremely heated. Some parties became slightly impolite
and/or abusive, but, it seems, no offence was caused

-	It was agreed by most (not all) parties that the majority of users would
prefer a simpler system. The disagreement arose with the suggestion that
they should pay if they want simplicity

-	The discussion has recently been working around in circles, and there is
little likelihood of a consensus being reached beyond the points stated
above.

So now, if we can agree on something approaching the above facts, can we let
it drop before anyone else gets emotional or personally/politically abusive?

SamBC