List:       kde
Subject:    Re: KDE2 feature - more info please?
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! cx>
Date:       2000-06-07 10:59:21

On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 11:35:12AM +0100, Derek Fountain wrote:
> Now, this looks like something I've wanted from a UNIX
> desktop for years: an integrated GUI file manager and shell.
> It *looks* like the GUI and the shell understand each other:
> type "cd /etc" in the shell, and the GUI file manager
> updates with the /etc directory?

That's how it works.

Of course integration could/might/should be improved and extended, but it
works for "cd" stuff. It doesn't show the right "rm" command in the shell
when deleting a file in the GUI, though.

Other uses might be:

- integration of previewing a file in the GUI with "file"
- a virtual directory in the GUI with files found with a "find" command
- clicking configure will attempt "configure", clicking a Makefile a "make
  && make install". This was undoable without the shell because everything
  would have happened in the background, but when the shell is there it would
  probably work beautifully.

By they way, is there support for scp/sftp alike file management? Having a
kio_scp would be very great.. especially with a key/sessions manager or at
least a password/key cache.

--
Rob Kaper | cap@capsi.com cap@capsi.cx cap@atomickitten.cx