List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Which LINUX dist best w/ KDE & development
From:       Mike Rolig <mrolig () macalester ! edu>
Date:       2000-05-12 17:54:27

Clarence Brown wrote:

> This might be a bit off topic, so I'll apologize now.
>
> I've been using FreeBSD in various server rolls and experimenting with it
> and KDE as a desktop. FreeBSD is a very stable operating system that seems
> to have superior networking characteristics ... however with its
> "server-centric concentration" it tends to lag in support of "neato" desktop
> kinds of things like sound, misc hardware, accessing FAT32 or NTFS
> partitions as well as support for operating as a client to Netware or NT
> servers.
>
> I'd like to start playing around w/ LINUX, maybe even try compiling KDE2...
>
> There are an incredible number LINUX dists out there, which one is best for
> KDE? Best for development? Best for support/installation of new stuff? Which
> one is best for _______ (you fill in the blank). I find slackware
> interesting because of it's WalnutCreek affiliation, Red Hat seems to have
> advantage of RPM, If I want to experiment with Word Perfect, I suppose I
> should use their version?

I am quite happy using debian with KDE.  It's package management system
makes upgrades and new installs very easy, it also allows you to add
software you've compiled yourself rather well...

It's all religious though...  I think Corel would be difficult to work
with, because they like to take conrol of a number of things you want to
work with.

--
Michael Rolig             < michael.rolig@iname.com >
Student @ Macalester College          St. Paul, Minn.