List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Kylix to be built on Qt
From:       "Evan E." <evan () onepaper ! com>
Date:       2000-04-29 1:47:13

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Sam BC wrote:

> The downside is that Borland will presumably have to charge a fair fee for
> a commercial edition of Kyrix whether or not they produce a free version...

    Not when you consider the economics of scale.  Troll Tech had to charge a
hefty price originally, because it was a rather niche product.  The fact that
Borland is now in the game shows that they can bank on selling MANY more
copies, and they can drop the price and stay profitable.

    Of course, it dosen't matter much if Borland comes in or not... I think
commercial KDE/Qt development will become a significant market soon.  Is Troll
Tech public?  :)

--
Evan