List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Configuring kde
From:       Willi Kappler <grandor () gmx ! de>
Date:       2000-04-25 17:21:25

Hi,

On Die, 25 Apr 2000, Donald Tournier wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am trying to convince people in my lab to switch to Linux, but I need to
> set up the desktop environment properly before they will be truly happy.
> Can anyone help me with these questions:
>
> - How do I set up a default system-wide environment (ie panel, window,
> mouse, etc propeties)? Which files are important, and what is the format?

You can, for example configure the environment for one user, and then just copy
the .kde/ and the Desktop/ directories to the home directories for the other
users. The format is human readable, so you can edit them by hand if you wish,
but using KDE control center is more comfortable of course :-)

> - How do I configure the right mouse button menu (ie the one which pops up
> when right-clicking on the background)? This is something I find very
> useful with OpenWindows (which is what is currently being used in the
> lab).

This isn't possible for KDE 1.1.2 IIRC, but will be with KDE 2.0.

> - Is there some kind of sysadmin guide for kde anywhere?

There are some KDE books available AFAIK, check out your fafourite onlie
bookstore.

> Any suggestions appreciated.
> Thanks,
>
> Donald Tournier.