List:       kde
Subject:    Re: VMware/OT
From:       Vic <ntr () kscable ! com>
Date:       2000-04-21 1:01:44

You can find a crack for it on irc

System for $300 US, I just can't see paying the price they were asking.

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, wsuetholz@centonline.com wrote:
> What you need to do is set up another hardware configuration under windows.
> Normally the system uses a config called "Default", but you can add new
> configurations.  I think that the VMWare web site had notes on how to do
> this.  That way you would have one configuration that would be used when
> running native, and a different configuration for running emulated.
>
> Don't ask me for any more details than that, since I haven't really played
> with it much.  Too many things to do, to little time..
>
> I did at one time try VMWare on my P166, but when you can buy a Celeron 366
> System for $300 US, I just can't see paying the price they were asking.
>
> Bill Suetholz
>
> On 09-Apr-00 M. Neidorff wrote:
> > At 06:39 PM 04/07/2000 -0400, you wrote:
> >>Because VMWare is a Virtual Machine.  It doesn't let windows directly access
> >>your hardware.  It creates 'virtual devices' - you notice that it's not your
> >>normal BIOS when it boots, right?  That's because it ISN'T.  The same for all
> >>of your hardware inside the virtual machine - it's a 'virtual' floppy drive,
> >>CD-ROM drive, IDE controller, etc.
> >
> > Quite true.
> >
> >>That's why they say you should reinstall your guest OS's in their own
> >>partitions/disk files.
> >
> > But they also say that it is possible to run with an existing
> > installation.  Now there is the problem.
> >
> >>If you had understood how VMWare really worked, you might not have had this
> >>problem - just goes to show you should ALWAYS RTFM.
> >

> > Mark
>
> --
> Send posts to:  kde@lists.netcentral.net
>  Send all commands to:  kde-request@lists.netcentral.net
Want to make some extra pocket change
listening to your realplayer while you surf?
http://www.radiofreecash.com/home.asp?ref=kittypuss

Sign up for ClickDough and get paid to surf the web.
http://secure.clickdough.com/servlets/cr/CRSignup.po?referral_id=kittypuss