List:       kde
Subject:    RE: corel's involvement
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       2000-04-04 7:08:46

Ok, I have been reading all this doomsaying about Corel's involvement
and I
want to express my position. It is possible that this will make others
feel
better, or at least less agitated ;-)

We need a UI design guy. UI design is hard work, and we don't know very
much
about how it is done. A UI design guy doesn't need extensive KDE
experience.
He needs extensive UI design experience.

There is a shortage of UI design guys who will work for free, so it's
good
that Corel is paying for one.

And then: if a UI design guy tells me something needs to be changed in
my
apps, I will listen. But he will have to explain! I get that 12 times a
day
already, it's just that not from a professional UI designer.

As for the Kppp thing, well, dep, you didn't get it ;-)

Someone posted a design proposal, and Ming said "why don't you get in
touch
with this guy who is doing the same thing for us?" That's eminently
reasonable.

And kppp CAN be improved. Really.

On Tue, 4 Apr
2000, dep wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Apr 2000, Timothy R. Butler wrote:
>
> |   Uh, OS/2? No offence, but Windows, specifically OS/2's "brother"
> | - Windows 2000, is a lot more modern than OS/2, all though it had
> | some good ideas. Just remember, your buddy Bill helped with it. I
> | think, since most Linux programmers' pride would stop them from
> | coping ideas from Windows, lets just remember that Apple has many
> | of these features too - and they'd be wise to study them.
>
> okay. first, the workplace shell had no microsoft involvement.
> microsoft's gui involvement in OS/2 was limited to the miserable
> OS/2-1.1 "presentation manager." indeed, windows 2.0 was called
> "windows 2.0 presentation manager." a lot more modern? well, newer,
> but certainly not better. the wps is still broadly considered to be
> the best gui anybody has ever come up with. i agree.
>
> but that is to some extent beside the point. the broader issue is
> whether kde is to be another windows, just with linux instead of dos,
> or the best and most innovative gui imaginable -- whether the purpose
> is to make a great gui on its own or make former windows users feel
> comfortable. fact is, linux is and shall always be more complicated
> than dos/windows, no matter how graphical it can be made. that is its
> great strength, actually. already kde resembles windows in many
> respects. looking at apple is a good idea. looking at the late,
> lamented nextstep is a good idea. looking at a blank screen is a good
> idea. but the fact that people are used to something doesn't mean
> it's the best way to do it. making linux easy to use is a very good
> idea, and the kde developers have done much to bring this about. but
> there is a line, and it is crossed when user control is removed and
> "what is best for you" is substituted. this is what microsoft got
> whacked in court for doing yesterday, and what will ultimately cost
> them tremendously.
>
> there is additionally the problem that arises from becoming tied too
> closely to any one distribution. many linux distributors have
> contributed to kde. redhat has people involved. caldera has provided
> resources. mandrake is here. but nobody is foisting off designers and
> the like in ways that threaten to alter the very nature of the
> result. certainly, no one has hired someone to "advise" who
> apparently never heard of linux week-before last. this is scary. the
> fact that it is corel makes it more so.
>
> --
> dep
> --
> take back america and throw a wobble into the spin:
> if you're interviewed by an election exit pollster, lie!
> --
> Send posts to:  kde@lists.netcentral.net
>  Send all commands to:  kde-request@lists.netcentral.net

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
The stone age didn't end for a lack of stone" Firoz Rasul