List:       kde
Subject:    Search path for items used by a KDE application
From:       Thomas Schenk <tschenk () theoffice ! net>
Date:       2000-03-31 2:17:51

I hope that this has a simple answer.

I am trying to build some kde apps on a Red Hat system and am running
into the following problem.  I installed KDE with Red Hat, so the
default path for icons, pixmaps, etc for KDE apps is /usr/share/.....
I want to build some applications and put them onto a shared filesystem
whose prefix is /usr/pub.  The problem is that when I compile an app
on the Red Hat box, it looks for everything (icons, sounds, etc) under
/usr/share/* even if I configure the app with a prefix of /usr/pub.
An example of this is quanta (a HTML editor).  I build it with a prefix
/usr/pub and it installs, but when I run it, I get a ton of messages:

KToolBarButton: pixmap is empty, perhaps some missing file
[...]

and then a dialog box that says it is looking in /usr/share/icons/mini
or some such instead of /usr/pub/share/icons/mini, where the stuff is
actually installed.  I do not want to move KDE from /usr to /usr/pub.
I want applications compiled with a prefix of /usr/pub to look for
their resources (icons, sounds, etc) under /usr/pub.  Is there no way
to do this?  Surely there is some way to specify a search path for
stuff like this.

I also do not want to create a bunch of symlinks to solve this or to
install the packages I would put in /usr/pub on every machine (I have
over 100 to deal with).

Thanks for any help on this.

Tom

--
| Tom Schenk            | Use Linux!              | All opinions expressed |