List:       kde
Subject:    RE: [Chat] KDE/GNOME main lacks, accordingly to an italian magazi
From:       "Evan E." <evan () onepaper ! com>
Date:       2000-03-28 20:15:56

> > I partially agree. How about an installer system with the following
> > features?
> > - A splash screen / entry dialog box that clearly explains you
> which program
> > you are going to install and what it can do for you.
>
> Isn't this redundant (or even unwanted).  I mean, if someone is going to
> install a prog they have probably already figured out what it does and
> what `it can do for them' (those that haven't either: like the suspense,
> why ruin it; or deserve the problems they get for not doing their
> homework beforehand, they gotta learn somehow).

   I have spent countless hours trying to figure out what INSTUMA120.exe was
supposed to install.  If it was a simple download and I can delete it, or if
I had to argue with HP tech support for five hours to get them to send it to
me, and I want to copy it to a disk and tape it to the bottom of my scanner.
Figuring out things like version and limitations, if it's the registered
software or freebee install (yes, this applies to some *nix software as
well) and other aspects about the software.

   It's all nice to say that I should remember what it was, but often I'm
cleaning out the tech department's shared directory, and the file is 14
months old, and arrived via a consultant.

   Having said that, all this info can be stored in RPMs, and KPackage could
read it.  A "wizard" interface for KPackage (that can be turned off forever)
would make both sides of the issue happy.  Also, a standard way of finding
RPMs that the package has dependancies for would be nice.  Mandrake's update
does a decent job, but I wind up installing tarballs and odd install
packages, and it starts to fail.  RPMfind has never worked for me.

   And please, let somebody roll the features into the CLI RPM, not the GUI
package manager.  My (X-free, not XFree86) servers will thank you.

   Cross my fingers... I'm jumping through to KDE from Win98 as a desktop at
work and at home in the next two weeks, rather than using it in the
evenings.  Afterwards, maybe I can contribute code, rather than opinions :)

--
Evan