List:       kde
Subject:    KDM won't start KDE after upgrade to XFree86-3.3.6 with Mandrake rpms.
From:       "Guy" <guy.zelck () eds ! com>
Date:       2000-03-28 15:02:36

Hello all,

Last weekend I upgraded to XFree86-3.3.6 because I'm experimenting with my
A4-Tech wheelmouse and wanted to eliminate the
freezes (+/- 5secs on my 266MHz PII) that I have from time to time
(annoying).
My base installation is the Mandrake 6.0.
I installed the following packages from Mandrake 7.0 (from the top of my
head):
Freetype
Xinitrc
XFree86-libs
XFree86-3.3
XFree86-75dpi-fonts
XFree86-VGA
XFree86-Mach64

The result is that all the X stuff works when I start KDE using 'startx' or
'xdm' but not from 'kdm' (by the way, X still freezes like before).
Kdm itself starts up alright, but when I choose KDE, the kdm welcome screen
disappears and returns after a while, there are no core dumps.
I read through a lot of messages on the Mandrake site from people that had
kdm problems when upgrading to 7.0 but the only solution they
offer is to by-pass kdm by using xdm or gdm.
I suppose the full-blown 7.0 package offers a working kdm (offcourse). So
what fundamentally changed here? As you can see, I only installed a few
packages, not too many. But ofcourse trouble lies in small corners.

Thanks for any solutions,

Guy Zelck
guy.zelck@eds.com

Guy Zelck