List:       kde
Subject:    Re: How about a IE clone for Linux?
From:       Jan Knutar <jkn2 () nic ! fi>
Date:       2000-03-20 17:36:27

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Alessandro Bottoni wrote:

 > 2) It seems that no other browser can actually compete with IE. Neither
> Netscape Navigator, nor Opera nor Grail, etc... seems to be able to
> completely replace IE on the normal user desktop.

Grail? Hmm...

Completely replace IE? Last time I checked, it was damn hard to get rid
of IE from a windoze system. Luckily, my windoze is from pre-ie4
times...

> The other browsers seems
> to be either too unripe or too "Spartan" for competing with IE. The only
> people that I know who use Netscape or Opera, do it for "political" reasons,
> rather than for its supposed technical superiority.

I've used Opera completely free of will. It's extremely fast, it does
look a bit odd from time to time, but otherwise it's great! It starts
60 times faster than IE3 (I timed both of 'em).

I use netscape in windows because of my bad experiences with IE4. I
installed IE4, slowed down the entire system and started to dial out
all the time. Had to rip out the cable to the phonecord (it costs me 10
cents for every connect). Uninstalled it immediately... Battled a few
days to get rid of everything it left behind.

I've used IE from time to time on computers in the school, but I prefer
Netscape. Pages look kinda 'strange' in IE. There's dotted lines
everywhere, the text looks strange, links look strange and the pages
are kinda weird.... Netscape looks more robust and functional, not to
mention that all the buttons are in the wrong places on IE's toolbar!

I guess it depends on what you're used to.