List:       kde
Subject:    RE: [Chat] KDE/GNOME main lacks, accordingly to an italian magazi
From:       Alessandro Bottoni <Alessandro.Bottoni () think3 ! com>
Date:       2000-03-20 10:04:12

I partially agree. How about an installer system with the following
features?
- A splash screen / entry dialog box that clearly explains you which program
you are going to install and what it can do for you.
- A dialog box that allows you to install your software where you want to
store it, and not where your system like to have it.
- A wizard that guides you through the installation process, from the
software/hardware pre-requisite to the "readme", final dialog box.
- A wizard that give you the possibility to go back and change your mind, as
well as to get more detailed explanations and help about obscure
intallations details.
- A wizard that guides you to getting ride of old software or update it, in
a clean and safe way.
- A single system (maybe based on XML/OSD) for producing both CD-ROM
installers and Internet-downloadables, in a simple, clean and safe way.
- A modular install system (maybe XML/OSD based, this too) that allows you
to update/change a program without having to reinstall it from scratch.

Maybe I'm not a very skilled KDE/GNOME/Linux user, but I'm not completely
satisfied by RPM and similar systems. I still feel much more comfortable
with InstallShield and Wise, even taking into consideration their clear
limits, first of all their limited capabilities in the internet area. In my
opinion, once again, Microsoft is showing us how a good installer should be:
like Active Setup (IE50 setup). I'm not happy to recognize their
technological superiority, but it would be silly to close my eyes and deny
it.

	-- omissis --