List:       kde
Subject:    Re: How about a IE clone for Linux?
From:       Kevin Forge <forge () myrealbox ! com>
Date:       2000-03-19 6:13:29

"Timothy R. Butler" wrote:

> > If only Richard were here....  Remember not to confuse "free" as in
> > liberty with "free" as in "gratis".  Getting your software without
> > paying for it is great, but money makes the world go round.  I'm not
> > afraid to pay for my applications, if paying insures that work continues
> > in a timely manner, and the software is advanced.
> >
> > I would never ever call IE "free".
>
>  Ah, yes, RMS - well - don't bring RMS into this unless (1) you are willing
> to call Linux "GNU/Linux" (anyone who has ever spoken to RMS and mentioned
> Linux knows this by heart), (2) willing to admit KDE is not free (until KDE
> 2.0 and QT 2.0 - and then only "kinda sorta"), (3) acknowledge the term open
> source is very deceiving and wrong.
>  However, I will speak RMS-speak. I meant IE is free as in gratis, whereas
> Opera has less features and is neither free nor gratis. So IE seems like the
> lessor of the two evils here.

This is flawed reasoning.  Money is not wrong and software you must pay
for is not evil.  I worked for a company that sold an Accounting
package.
It cost a lot of money and the sales agreement says in clear english "If
you pay us this amount again you get the source code along with the
right
to modify it as you see fit.

This is not Gratis or Libra or truly Open Source.  It's not Free by any
measure, but is it evil ?