List:       kde
Subject:    Re: How about a IE clone for Linux?
From:       wsuetholz () centonline ! com
Date:       2000-03-16 23:32:09

UnixWare 2.1, Linux, UnixWare 1.1, UnixWare 7, and AT&T SVR4.  I've
recently retired the Intel Solaris. However, I only try to use KDE on the first
two.  UW1 is too old, and UW7 is only on one machine.

Increasingly I've been finding it harder to compile the larger free software
projects on UW2, because of Linux customizations.  It's beginning to get
very frustrating.  Recently I tried a current version of Wine, and had to
modify several files, including a change to not use wait4 since that is not
available to me.  Plus their assembler code is specific to gas!  ouch..  Things
in the KDE camp seem to be moving towards Linux dependence more and more in my
opinion.

Major problem is people moving to Posix Threads, instead of using the X thread
headers to be more portable.  UW2 doesn't have PThreads, they use the SunOS
threads which XFree86 needs to link with.  X has a header file that masks the
differences somewhat.  I suppose I should look closer at it and come up with
something for pthreads.h to threads.h.  One of these years <Sigh>.

Bill Suetholz