List:       kde
Subject:    How about a IE clone for Linux?
From:       Alessandro Bottoni <Alessandro.Bottoni () think3 ! com>
Date:       2000-03-16 9:19:25

It seems that my message regarding IE for Linux started and interesting
discussion.

I would like to share a few opinions regarding this topic with you:

1) Despite our generalized antipathy, MS IE is widely considered a central
element of the common software suite adopted by the "normal user" (that is:
Windows-addicted, last stage).

2) It seems that no other browser can actually compete with IE. Neither
Netscape Navigator, nor Opera nor Grail, etc... seems to be able to
completely replace IE on the normal user desktop. The other browsers seems
to be either too unripe or too "Spartan" for competing with IE. The only
people that I know who use Netscape or Opera, do it for "political" reasons,
rather than for its supposed technical superiority.

3) MS IE seems to be a good reason to keep stick to Windows for most people.
Most of my friends use Linux as a server but visit their own web sites from
a PCWin with IE...(thanks to the "easiness" of connecting Linux to the
Internet via a dial-up line, too).

4) MS IE is widely appreciated by webmasters and programmers for its
extended programming capabilities (a good DOM, a wide assortement of
scripting tools, partial XML support, CSS support, etc...). as a slight to
us, it IS a cool piece of software...

5) As long as I can see, there is no project that could supply us with a
real competitor for IE in the next few months/years. Is there?

As a conclusion: would not be the time to start a project aimed to create a
REAL replacement for MS IE, at least in the Linux environment? I do not
think we should run after MS, accepting its standards violations, but we
cannot keep on criminalising the user that does not understand "why using MS
IE is just a plain bad thing"... We should accept this challenge and produce
something equivalent/better/different/comparable to IE. Am I wrong?

Let me know what you think about it.

Alessandro Bottoni
(Alessandro.Bottoni@Think3.com)
(alessandro.bottoni@libero.it)