List:       kde
Subject:    Re: KDE 2 release date?
From:       Ruth Ivimey-Cook <Ruth.Ivimey-Cook () arm ! com>
Date:       2000-03-04 21:21:19

At 01:40 AM 3/1/00 , you wrote:
>The 2-28-2000 build was extremely clean and works on all distributions.
>Please let me know if you have any questions!

Don't know if you saw the msg on the kde list about missing libs, but I
decided to plough on anyway (i.e. --nodeps it). I had some trouble then
because I've an RH6 system with kde1 installed in /usr/bin, which meant
that for ages I couldn't persuade any kde2 things to even try and run, but
eventually I got it going.

Well, sort of. I have played a bit with a couple of apps -- got kwrite to
start, played with konsole and kcontrol, I decided to see what else worked.
Very few things, really: mostly KRun didn't find the executable, although
no graphical message came up to say so -- I looked in the error log files.

I've installed in /opt/kde2, and all the kde1 things are in /usr/kde, which
I think isn't being used; if I specifically reference an app
(/opt/kde2/bin/app) it is there, and the path which startkde is started
with includes /opt/kde2. Not sure what's happening at all here.

Anyway, I decided to see what the themes did: used kcontrol to change the
theme to marble, applied it, and promptly everything dies... back to xdm
login screen. The .xsession-error log (i.e. stdout from startkde) shows
nothing particularly interesting, although there are lots of 'can't find
this' or 'that failed' type messages for most apps, doing almost anything.
Logging in again I have no panel at all; I do get some Templates, etc type
icons, but double clicking doesn't help: the app starts and dies
immediately. Right button click once brought up a menu with "New" on it,
and I tried "folder", but that silently failed too.

Not sure what to do now, really: the bits that work look nice, but
obviously something isn't right in my setup -- I have heard people say kde2
is reasonably usable, and what I have now isn't -- but it's not at all
obvious to me what that might be.

If you can help get things going, that's great, but if not perhaps I'll
wait another month or so :-)

Thanks for the help so far, and good luck!

Ruth

--

Ruth Ivimey-Cook       Senior Engineer        Ruth.Ivimey-Cook@arm.com
ARM Ltd       Firmware and Debugger Development     http://www.arm.com