List:       kde
Subject:    Re: OT:  Alsa sound driver, kde, linux in general
From:       Alain Toussaint <atoussaint () globetrotter ! net>
Date:       2000-03-02 0:25:23

> Is anyone else here using alsa instead of oss?

i do,in my case,here's what i done to have sound in alsa:

first,i got the cvs version of alsa (doesn't matter which version you
choose though),i installed the driver,added them in my /etc/modules
files (i.e. they're allway loaded) and then,i have a script which set
volume and mixer property upon startup (amond a lot of other thing):

alain@alain:~$ cat /etc/init.d/udma.sh
#!/bin/sh
/sbin/hdparm -a1 -A1 -c1 -d1 -k1 -K1 -m16 -u1 /dev/hda
/usr/bin/setterm -blank 0
/bin/echo "1" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
/sbin/ipchains-restore -f </etc/firewall
/usr/local/sbin/alsactl restore

keep in mind i had to set the volume to an acceptable level first and
then ran alsactl save before adding the last line in my udma.sh
script,now i don't ever have to think about it.

Alain Toussaint

p.s. the udma.sh script is the placeholder of various configuration i do
in my system.