List:       kde
Subject:    OT:  Alsa sound driver, kde, linux in general
From:       Patrick O Neil <patrick.oneil () hci ! utah ! edu>
Date:       2000-03-01 19:52:20

Is anyone else here using alsa instead of oss?

Alsa is driving me freakin' nuts.  I installed
it on my laptop (IBM ThinkPad 1400i series)
with Mandrake 7.0 running kde-1.1.2.  The oss
drivers sucked.  Even though my soundcard was
properly identified (ESS Solo1) and setup, when
it would function, like playing a wav file, it
wouldn't complete the play.  The wav would be
broken up and terminate prematurely.  I installed
alsa-0.5.4 and all seemed to be fine but...
I run amixer (as root...it wont let me
as user saying that the driver isn't detected)
and unmute everything and set the
sound levels up to max and its all fine for a little
bit.  After some short period of time, however,
I find that amixer has fallen back to muted and
soundlevels all down to zero.  I set it up again,
even running "alsactl store" to no avail.

How the hell do I make alsa work all the time
no matter whether I am root or a user.  This is
the dumbest way to setup a driver/set of software
I think I have ever come across - make it so
it defaults to useless AND make it so it keeps
reverting to useless periodically.  I even added
all the amixer commands to /etc/rc.d/rc.local,
which works for a little while before the whole
thing goes back to mute and zero levels.

ARGH!

Can anyone help me out here?  Please respond
directly to my email address:

patrick.oneil@hci.utah.edu