List:       kde
Subject:    Re: auto-starting X for Suse6.3 and Slackware4
From:       Klaus Wachtler <kde () wachtler ! de>
Date:       2000-02-24 15:38:16

On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 02:53:58PM +0000, Sibusiso Xolo wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am configuring 2 boxes,  one with SUSE 6.3;
>  other with Slackware 4.
> I would like to know how to start X automatically.

On SuSE you run "yast" (as root). There is a menu entry to configure
the variables in /etc/rc.config. In the german version the entry is
called something like "edit configuration file" in the menu named
"system administration"; I do not know the exact names in the english
version.

There you will find a variable called "DISPLAYMANAGER". It can be set
to "console" (if you do NOT like a graphical login) or "kdm" or
"xdm".

Alterantively you may edit /etc/rc.config by hand (or using an editor)
and run "SuSEconfig" after savin the file.

A third way is to edit "/etc/inittab". Here you find a line like:
          id:2:initdefault:
if you want a console login, or:
          id:3:initdefault:
to have the graphical login. Problem: the next execution of
"SuSEconfig" (directly or by yast) may overwrite your changes again,
if you do not change the variable "CHECK_INITTAB" to "no" in
/etc/rc.config (see above).

Klaus