List:       kde
Subject:    RE: How Do I...
From:       "Sam BC" <sambc () nights ! force9 ! co ! uk>
Date:       2000-02-24 0:35:01

I don't think we should damn someone for their choice of OS. 'Monochi' might
have put it too bluntly, but everyone is free to choose their software -
isn't that part of what OS is about - if people want to pay through the nose
for unstable pieces of bloatware (and I won't use stronger language however
much I want to) it's up to them.

Look, I hate windows as much (if not more) than the next list member. Thing
is, as any really sad e-mail connoisseur or header-reader will be able to
tell, I still use it, and I use MS Office e-mail tools. Reason being, I use
this e-mail s/ware as it does the job and it was free (not illegally). I
like Linux a lot, although I will say it is not mature yet. If I had my way,
I would completely switch over. But it would be a lot of work, a lot of new
skill learning, and I have a much easier C++ development environment in
Windows (thanks to the nice people at Borland giving away C++Builder, which
I hear they are planning a gtk+ or QT port of).

Windows9x is not an OS, it's a GUI with some 32-bit APIs stuck on. MS-DOS
still sits under it. The same is almost true of NT4. Win2k is supposed to be
better - I don't know, I've seen no software schematics. I've used a
pre-release, and hated it MORE than I hate win9x.

Some will agree, some will disagree, but it's UP TO THEM. If we all believe
in the philosophy of OS/GPL, rather than just Bill-Bashing, we should give
our ex-member best wishes...

Okay, rant over...

Sam BC

PS: it was still stupid not to notice the instructions...