List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Best Linux Distro for KDE
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! cx>
Date:       2000-02-22 22:39:11

On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 04:59:40PM -0500, Arthur H . Johnson II wrote:
> What is the best Linux distribution for KDE?  I am using a Homebrew right
> now, but I cant get some stuff to compile like the development versions of
> KDE, kover, and kstella for one.

The development versions simply might not compile, this is very unlikely to
be a platform dependant issue. As for those other packages: since they are
not part of the main KDE distribution, various reasons could be to blame,
although once again I don't think there is much difference between the
various Linux distributions:

KDE as a whole mainly depends on kdelibs and kdesupport. Deeper down the
tree is Qt and of course X. Even deeper goes (g)libc.

In theory, I would suspect all distributions to have a decent implementation
of libc and X. Therefore you could always compile Qt and the KDE libs etc
yourself which should create a very decent build platform. Then again, I
would also expect most distributions to have a decent binary installation of
Qt and the basic KDE things.

Having said all that, Slackware 7 works fine for me. I run KDE 1.1.2
straight from the distribution including various KDE apps I compiled from
sources such as kvirus 0.5.2, kicq 19991212, etc etc. I run KDE 2.0
snapshots as different user (due to the different Qt version etc and
different KDEDIR/QTDIR includes).

Rob
--
Rob Kaper | cap@capsi.com cap@capsi.cx cap@atomickitten.cx cap@loves.lana.cx