List:       kde
Subject:    What should be running for dcop?
From:       "Evan E." <evan () onepaper ! com>
Date:       2000-02-17 9:39:28

    I'm trying to get 2.0 running, it's 4:30am, and I've run into a problem.

    Other than the coffee being stale, however, I also get a error when kdm
comes up, saying that "There was some error setting up inter-process
communications for KDE.  The message returned by the system was:
    Authentication Rejected, reason:  None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.  Please check
that the "dcopserver" is running!"

    In fiddling around with trying to get KDE running, and I've had a few
various processes running.  Right now, the current one is "kdeinit:
dcopserver", which sits there, happily seemingly unable to be seen.

    I'm currently using the pre-built binaries that get regularly announced
here.  I know enough to make the libraries match up, and other basics of
installation (of course, I *still* might have missed something...)  Any
pointers/tips?  I'm experimenting, as I'd love to get working on some KDE
code, but (understandably), there isn't all that much that I can find out
about the actual process of the various servers other than the more
theoretical design comments that developers have tossed around.

    Incidently, I assume that kdeinit is similar to inetd?  It spawns the
core communication and library processes, and keeps them alive?

--
Evan