List:       kde
Subject:    Re: KSourceSafe ?
From:       Christopher Molnar <molnarc () nebsllc ! com>
Date:       1999-12-13 11:10:28

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, ArcadePreserv Center wrote:

> This is plain rubbish, at least here in Europe, USA has its own laws...
>
> When I read immaterial laws for software, I learned that anyone has full
> rights to REVERSE ENGINEAR a piece of software to get it to work on his
> system. If it is OK with US consumer laws to have this overridden by a
> licence text, I dont know, but for the sake of consumers rights, it should
> not.

The US laws are a little different. This is why Microsoft is a Monopoly. We are
not allowed to reverse engineer code for any reason. What we buy is what we are
stuck with. If you as a company reverse engineers Microsoft's code they can
come after you (legally). Another problem is that each state has some of it's
own additional laws. Best thing is not to try.

Microsoft in recent months has become very agressive in prosecuting people and
companies under the copyright laws. I think they are setting precident for
Windows 2K.

I am not a lawyer, the above is just based on my knowledge and opinion.