List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Thoughts of a KDE sceptic
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1999-11-18 6:35:01

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Seak, Teng-Fong wrote:

> Roberto Alsina wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Seak, Teng-Fong wrote:
> >
> > >  The
> > > first golden rule of programming: the programmer must put himself in a user's
> > > viewpoint / position while making his programmer.  Or else, the programme will be
> > > hard to use.  (Thinking that what I've just written is bullshit?  Check it up in
> > > books and you'll see)  Now, to do this is very hard, so user feedback is
> > > necessary.  However, if an author is so obstinate as to just to listen to himself
> > > (well anyway as he likes) he shouldn't expect his programme to be used willingly
> > > by others.
> >
> > You are not giving the authors input on how to improve their programs, you
> > are telling them that their programs should not exist. That's a very
> > different thing.
>
>      Well, if you change my word to give your own interpretation of
> what I've written, the discussion is pointless.  I never said that
> "their programs should not exist".  As I've written in another post in
> which I used a wheel as an example.  Ok, if you don't understand the
> figurative example, let me write it in direct way.
>
>      I was asking why, taking the example of xdvi, the K programs
> aren't based on a fully matured source code and add Qt widgets to it,
> more or less like Klyx to make a consistant look and feel in KDE.  Or
> even better, they could do like what the Klyx team is doing right now:
> they are working with the original lyx team to improve lyx, and in the
> near future there'll be a re-convergence of klyx and lyx.  In other
> words, I was suggesting that we should combine our efforts rather than
> separating them.

Thus throwing away the current codebase, thus making the program not exist
anymore. "Throw away your work and start again from this" is not an advice
anyone is going to hear, even if it were right. Programmers are humans.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Not mad, but bound more than a madman is (Romeo and Juliet, Act I Scene II)