List:       kde
Subject:    RE: InstallShield for KDE?
From:       "Timothy R. Butler" <kde () uninetsolutions ! com>
Date:       1999-11-10 20:45:49

> Compared to gtk+. gtk+ use a LGPL license.  Anyone actually seen what is
> stated on most LGPL licenses? It says "... v2 or *later*" (emphasize
> mine).  Anyone been to the GNU pages, and seen what RMS suggests
> regarding licenses? Imagining Qt goes away, and Linux becomes a dominant
> player in the OS marked.  I can see FSF changing the license so that it
> becomes closer to GPL. And then you won't be able to write close-code at
> all!

  Very good point, because technically, the QPL is no more limiting that the
GPL on closed software, it just has the option to buy a chance at closed
software. QT is no more closed (I don't believe) than any of the Linux
source code.

> In the real world, free "speach" software means gratis software, despite
> what they might be saying.

 As St. GNUcious, err RMS, :-) says elsewhere on GNU.org, just because it's
under the GPL doesn't mean you can't make money with it. Look at how much
RedHat makes - people are willing to pay for support, and maybe a CD and
manual.
 Anyway, why should TT be at fault for closed/non-free software, and yet the
programmer is a okay for closed software?

  My two cents (or maybe it's three),
                                  Tim

Timothy R. Butler
Internet Solutions Consultant