List:       kde
Subject:    Re: InstallShield for KDE?
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1999-11-09 13:11:22

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Dummy KDE-maillist wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 09, 1999 at 07:54:51PM +0100, Leben, Weert wrote:
> >

> > >    Linux and KDE are FREE.
> > >    The source code is FREE and freely available.
> > >    The compilers and other development tools are FREE.
> >
> > I don't think that's true. If you peruse the QT licence carefully, you'll
> > find that you cannot use QT for free, if you're planning on selling the
> > surrounding software. QT was developed by a commercial enterprise. (Unless
> > I'm deeply mistaken, in which case I humbly apologize!).
>
> You are completely right! As soon as you develop commercially
> something that uses the KDE-libs then you need to buy a QT-License!

No, that's not how it is. As soon as you start not giving away your
source, you need to buy a Qt license. Why should TT make you a gift?

You can sell your application, say, under the QPL.

> This is why I am sure KDE is the wrong way. There are very good ideas
> in it, but it is useless for little programmers (like I am one).

If you can't make $1500, there is probably no point on making your program
closed source.

> If you develop under pure XLIB (aaaahhhrg!) or GTK/GTK++ then you
> really use free software. But not if you use anything build on top of
> Qt or KDE.

Cool. Do it.

> Sorry!
>
> (As long as you distribute nothing, or you develop free software
> without commercial interests then you do NOT need to by a
> Qt-license. But: What do you want to eat today?)

Food. If you can't afford $1500 to pay for Qt, how much of it can you buy?

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Not mad, but bound more than a madman is (Romeo and Juliet, Act I Scene II)