List:       kde
Subject:    Re: InstallShield for KDE?
From:       Dummy KDE-maillist <kde () wachtler ! de>
Date:       1999-11-09 19:05:59

On Tue, Nov 09, 1999 at 07:54:51PM +0100, Leben, Weert wrote:

> >    Linux and KDE are FREE.
> >    The source code is FREE and freely available.
> >    The compilers and other development tools are FREE.
>
> I don't think that's true. If you peruse the QT licence carefully, you'll
> find that you cannot use QT for free, if you're planning on selling the
> surrounding software. QT was developed by a commercial enterprise. (Unless
> I'm deeply mistaken, in which case I humbly apologize!).

You are completely right! As soon as you develop commercially
something that uses the KDE-libs then you need to buy a QT-License!

This is why I am sure KDE is the wrong way. There are very good ideas
in it, but it is useless for little programmers (like I am one).

If you develop under pure XLIB (aaaahhhrg!) or GTK/GTK++ then you
really use free software. But not if you use anything build on top of
Qt or KDE.

Sorry!

(As long as you distribute nothing, or you develop free software
without commercial interests then you do NOT need to by a
Qt-license. But: What do you want to eat today?)

Klaus