List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Kernel 2.2.13 problems
From:       Derek <fountai () hursley ! ibm ! com>
Date:       1999-10-27 7:52:39

> > I then found that I got an error from kppp saying that my kernel didn't
> > have PPP installed. I double checked and it was there so I ran kppp
> > anyway and it connected up and worked fine. Seems the error message
> > comes up unneccesarily.
> >
> > So I've gone back to 2.2.12 which is OK. Anyone else having problems
> > with 2.2.13, and if so have they reported them to the kernel developers?
>
> Alan Cox fixed a tiny security hole that breaks kppp's PPP check. Look
> for the ppp_available() function in kdenetwork/kppp/runtests.cpp and
> insert a "return true" as the first command. Someone being able to
> compile a kernel shoule be able to handle that, right ? ;)

Right, but the kppp problem was a small one compared to the other things
that went wrong when I moved to kernel 2.2.13. If kfm and kpanel don't
start, the thing's pretty useless. So I went back to 2.2.12. Something's
odd with my machine - this and the kfm crashing on right click problem
are making life hard at the moment. No one, including myself, has any
answers and it doesn't do it on my machine at work.