List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Running KDE 1.1.2 & 2pre on same system
From:       Mark Roberts <maroberts () dial ! pipex ! com>
Date:       1999-10-22 7:58:35

Ian Zepp wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Mark A Roberts wrote:
>
> > I'd like to be able to run both KDE 1 [for most users] and KDE 2 [for a
> > few development accounts] on a system.
> >

> > My problem is ensuring I can build and run KDE2 without it picking up
> > KDE 1.x files and also ensuring KDE 1.x does not get corrupted in any
> > way.
> >
> > Does anyone have any advice on how to set this up ?
> >
> > KDE 1.1.2 is already installed in /opt/kde - I'd like to put KDE 2 in
> > /opt/kde2
>
> The easy way is like this..
>
> - move /opt/kde to /opt/kde-1.1.1
> - create /opt/kde-2.0.0
> - symlink either dir to /opt/kde ..
>
> All stuff will run fine for either environment now.

Actually my /opt/kde is a symlink [from when I was migrating from 1.1.1
to 1.1.2]; however, I have a network of 3 PCs at home with another
machine acting as server. As a result someone else [my girlfriend] can
be running KDE at the same time as me and she will want to use the the
stable version, not the leading edge version, so symlinks won't work as
they affect everyone.

As someone suggested earlier, the best bet seems to be modify the
/etc/profile directory. I actually intend to create a group "kde2" to
which all users who want to use the latest version will belong and then
have something like

/etc/profile

if [ grep 'groups "$USER"' kde2 .gt 0 ]
then
  # use KDE 1
  QTDIR=/usr/local/qt
  KDEDIR=/opt/kde
else
  # use KDE 2
   QTDIR=/usr/local/qt2
   KDEDIR=/opt/kde2
endif

[in case you hadn't guessed I'm crap at shell programming and normally
get it right by trial and error :-)]

Thanks for all the ideas
Mark Roberts