List:       kde
Subject:    RE: sh
From:       "Santiago Burbano" <santib () mtservicios ! com>
Date:       1999-10-13 16:12:59

> Gnome follows the Debian principle: fine grained control over what is
> installed and what is not. Debian boasts over 3000 (!!!) packages PER
> PLATFORM - but that's only because things like Perl are split up in 30 or
> more packages (libraries, encryption, basic, etc. etc etc)
>
> The package management system with Debian makes this very easy to handle,
> but if you don't have a proper package mangement system, you're in
trouble,
> for sure.

And still.... :(

I run Debian 2.1 and even with dpkg and dselect front-end, sometimes its
quite frustrating.
I have no objection to fine-grained control of packages, but package
management system should be as fine-grained as the packages it manages.
Sections like Optional-X11 or Optional-Games have some 2-3 hundred packages,
still too much to be handy.

There should be more categories: things like Apache, Perl, Python should
have their own categories. I fear the day they decide to include KDE in the
distro, in other than source format. After what they've done with gnome
(last time I checked there where 50+ packages), I think I'll stick to
compiling KDE by myself, even if its longer, it overrides package
management, etc, etc...

Santiago

PS: Sorry, I know this is off-topic.