List:       kde
Subject:    RE: not able to run kvt as root
From:       Duncan Haldane <f.d.m.haldane () mciworld ! com>
Date:       1999-10-12 14:17:24

Hmmm,

Check out
"which kvt"
both as root and as the normal user, to see what is beeing run.
(this may not show which kvt the user gets by clicking the panel icon)

Is it possible that root is finding a different kvt binary
in part of its path that  the user doesnt search?

Check out also which kvt the working
kpanel button for the user is running.  (look at the associated
.kdelnk file, right-lick on the panel icon, left click
on properties. the "General section shows what the .kdelnk file
that starts kvt from the panel icon is)

Sounds to me like root and user are running different kvt binaries.   I could
propose a simpler explanation if root could run kvt amd user could not; but
you problem is the inverse!

also check if typing "kvt" in the user's kvt that was started from
the panel successfully starts a second kvt.  (This will see if the user finds
the good one in his/her path ).

duncan

E-Mail: Duncan  Haldane <f.d.m.haldane@mciworld.com>
Date: 12-Oct-99