List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Ick... nasty icons problems...
From:       Duncan Haldane <f.d.m.haldane () mciworld ! com>
Date:       1999-10-09 17:59:48

On 07-Oct-99 John Couturier wrote:
> I had the exact same problem.  I have two linux boxes here a laptop and a desktop.  ON the laptop
> I did a basic install without selecting individual packages and did not get the problem.  On my
> desktop I "upgraded" and got the problem you describe.  To fix it on my desktop I recompiled
> KDELibs from source.

> From: "Cory R. Crooks" <badman@velocity.net>
> Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 05:35:55 +0000
>
>>So I installed Linux-Mandrake 6.1 the other day (kick-@ss distro. BTW),
>>and now I got the following problems:
>>
>>1.) My "standard" forward/back/trash/and such mini-icons for the kfm and
>>other taskbars have mysteriously vanished. They now just appear as
>>scrambled color, and for some reason I have two refresh icons...
>>wierd... Can anyone point me to what directory they SHOULD be in, or any
>>config file I should be checking... I'm stumped.

Trash is (should be) in ~/Desktop
try moving your ~/Desktop , ~/.kde and  ~/.kderc out out the way
(log out of kde first, and dont delete them)
they login in again, and see what Mandrake gives you as
a default desktop.

Your complete kde user configuration is contained in these
directories/files.

>>2.) The stock install got me into xdm (finally I don't have to do it
>>myself, which is good cause I'm lazy)... anyway, if I try to do stuff as
>>root (i.e. in Konsole: su -c "kpackage", or using kdesu/gsu) It
>>complains about not being able to connect to display 0:0... I ain't no
>>X-guru, and I'm not sure EXACTLY what this means, but I think it has to
>>do with some kind of authentication or some such thing... xauth is
>>called in startx, so that might be it, I don't know for sure...

when X starts put
xhost + <localhost>
in what ever script is used to start X.
e.g. ~/.Xclients
this will be Mandrake-dependent (I dont know what they have changed from RedHat,
if they are "99%" redhat-compatible, this may be the 1%)

for me <localhost> = localhost  (the name of 127.0.0.1)
this lets anyone on localhost use your x display.
see "man xhost"

E-Mail: Duncan  Haldane <f.d.m.haldane@mciworld.com>
Date: 09-Oct-99
Time: 14:00:38