List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Lockup in KDE
From:       Rainer Wirtz <rainer.wirtz () gmx ! de>
Date:       1999-10-08 17:38:03

Am Fri, 13 Aug 1999 schrieb Bob Koss:
> "Steven R. Hatfield" <shatfield@carolina.rr.com> writes:
>

> > If no, then you've done something to KDE that it certainly doesn't like.
> > Think very carefully about what you've done (keep a log of everything in a
> > text file) and look at that log. If you've made a recent change that is
> > causing your machine to lock up now, undo the change. Never modify a file
> > from your installation without first making a copy of it to .orig.
>
> Whatever the original poster did, I must have done the same thing
> because KDE has be deteriorating on me over the last few days.
>
> First my cdplayer quits playing music. Worked one day. Not the next.
> Then Netscape started taking minutes to come up.
>
> Now here's the really strange one....  clicking the mouse in a window
> doesn't give it the keyboard focus! The title bar of the window
> highlights, but when I type, the characters go to the last window I
> was in!!  The only way to get the focus changed is to minimize the
> term window and then restore it.
>
> And finally, total lockup.
>
> --
>
> Robert Koss, Ph.D.  | Object Mentor, Inc.    | Tel: (800) 338-6716
> Senior Consultant   | 14619 N Somerset Cr    | Fax: (847) 918-1023
> rskoss@oma.com      | Green Oaks IL 60048    | www.objectmentor.com

I had similar problems, kde was slow and becomes unusable within days.
The reason seemed to be messed up config files in
~/.kde/share/config/. I had installed 1.1.2 from a running 1.1.1, I
guess that's what initially did the damage, getting worse with time
when the *rc files were rewritten. I moved ~/.kde/share/config/ out of
the way, deleted /opt/kde, just to make sure, and reinstalled from
console (compiled source tree was still on disc). I had to redo all my
settings, partly I did this with cut'n'paste from the old files (kppp
accounts etc.). Since then everything is fine, although booting is
slower than with 1.1.1, noticable on a 486.

Rainer